Saturday, July 21, 2007

My New Look

I've always wanted to do a glamorous photo shoot starring myself. With hair & makeup and a professional photographer who encouraged me to be myself and just have fun!! at 40 images per digital roll with retouching and airbrushing of all minor flaws. So that's what we did the other day, me and Jovanka of Bauwerks Studio in Chicago, where I spent a week running around seeing friends and family earlier this month.

Here's my new look (photography by bauwerks.com):
Cheeky, innit?

Actually, what I would really love to do is dress up as all of my bad girls and try to mimic them. Try to become them. Though it might be really bad form for me to do Bessie Smith in black face. But I'd love to look like a Hollywood movie star from the 1930s, like Mae West. Here she is:
And here I am:

Is that a bit Mae West? Or is it more Louise Brooks?
I highly recommend doing a glamour photo shoot of oneself. If I can do it, anybody can. I'm nowhere near this perfect looking in real life. You should see me now as I write this in my underpants, glasses and scrunchied hair!

9 comments:

Mae West NYC said...

MAE WEST came up to see Joyce Hanson to say she looks simply sizzling. - - http://MaeWest.blogspot.com

Joyce Hanson said...

Thanks, Mae. You know I love you.

Lisanne said...

NIce pics Joyce (i think i told you that on TImeWaste!)..when are you gonna post again!!!

Joyce Hanson said...

Hi, Lisanne. I'm hiding a secret but hoping to reveal it on the blog someday soon. But until that day, I'm not talkin'. Isn't that stupid? I suppose I could post Skittles, Part 6, but for now I'm keeping "My New Look" at the top of my blog. Please be patient! (And if I can't stand it anymore, I WILL POST. I've got a backlog of ideas....)

Anonymous said...

post pleeze
post pleeeeze
post puh-leeeeze!

Joyce Hanson said...

"Oh geez, all these people are asking me when I'm gonna blog again," I say to Dave.

"Tell them you'll post in a month when you lose your job," Dave says.

Yeah, good idea. I officially lose my job as of Sept. 22, so Bella & Lisanne, you'll see a lot more of me after then, when I go on the dole and start writing all the time. You'll be sick of me!

Lisanne said...

Don't let a friggin' job stop you, there are 24 hours in a day.....

Anonymous said...

www.diehipster.com

Dope On The Slope said...

Definitely Louise Brooks.

Funny how you can tell the state of the service sector by correlating it to blog posts on the internets.

Since you will be taking a sabbatical in late September, you may want to stop by the next "Brooklyn Blogade" event. I think the next gathering is on September 30th in historic Bed-Stuy. I'll let you know the details.